450 g packet vanilla cupcake mix
330 g packet royal icing mix, prepared as directed
500 g assorted ready to roll fondant icing
12 wooden skewers
½ cup sifted pure icing sugar
½ cup strawberry dessert topping
1 tbsp red food colouring
1 dash liquid green food colouring
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Grease 12 holes of a standard-size muffin pan (⅓-cup capacity) and 12 holes of a mini-sized muffin pan (about 1½-tablespoon capacity) with cooking spray.
- Prepare the cake mix as directed and spoon between the muffin pans so holes are two-thirds full. Bake small muffins for 20-25 min, and larger ones for 25-30 min or until cooked. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Place cakes onto baking paper and spoon or brush over the royal icing, ensuring it coats the top and sides of the cake. Knead coloured fondants and cut a few small circles from each colour. Press onto the cupcakes to make the bases for the eyes. Allow icing to set.
- Using a small snap-lock bag and royal icing, pipe whites onto the eyes and decorate each one with a little ball of black fondant. Push skewers into the small-size eyeballs and place larger eyeballs on plates. Drizzle eyeballs with Fake Blood (see below) or serve it in a dish for dipping.
- Combine sifted pure icing sugar and strawberry topping in a bowl, add red food colouring and a dash of green food colouring. Stir until smooth. Pipe over eyeballs.