1½ cups chopped soft and juicy figs (250 g)
1 cup water
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
100 g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
¾ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 ¼ cups self-raising flour
vanilla ice-cream, to serve
300 ml pure cream
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
50 g unsalted butter, chopped
- Lightly grease eight ovenproof dishes (1-cup capacity). Place in a large roasting pan.
- Combine figs and water in a saucepan over a medium to high heat. Bring to boil. Simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in soda. Cool. Place in a food processor and process until smooth.
- To make sauce, combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Stir over a low heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to boil. Gently boil for about 15 minutes, or until thickened.
- Beat butter and sugar in a small bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Transfer to a large bowl. Fold in flour, then fig mixture.
- Spoon 1 tbsp sauce into each dish. Reserve remaining sauce. Divide fig mixture evenly over sauce. Pour enough boiling water into pan to come halfway up sides of dishes.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into centre of each comes out clean. Remove dishes and stand for 5 minutes.
- Turn out puddings into serving bowls. Serve with remaining sauce and ice-cream.