1.8 kg American-style pork ribs (3 racks), halved crossways
fresh coleslaw, to serve
⅔ cup smoky barbecue seasoning
½ cup tomato sauce
¼ cup malt vinegar
⅓ cup maple syrup
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
355 ml bottle pale ale
1 tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp ground cayenne pepper
- Cook ribs in a stockpot of boiling water for about 30 minutes or until tender. Drain. Transfer to a large, shallow dish.
- Meanwhile, make glaze. Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil. Gently boil, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Remove. Makes about 2½ cups.
- Pour 1½ cups of the glaze over ribs. Toss ribs to coat. Set aside remaining glaze.
- Heat a lightly oiled grill plate over a medium heat. Add ribs in two batches. Cook for about 8 to 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until charred and caramelised. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining glaze in a small saucepan over a low heat until hot.
- Serve ribs with coleslaw. Drizzle with remaining hot glaze.