250 g glutinous rice
½ cup coconut cream
½ cup caster sugar
1 pandanus leaf (available from Asian grocers)
400 g canned kidney beans, drained
2 tsp sesame oil
juice 1 lime
1 cup taro, finely diced
6 large pieces banana leaf
2 ripe bananas, thinly sliced
6 mint leaves, plus extra to garnish
extra coconut cream, to serve
- Wrap salmon in plastic wrap and place in freezer for about 15 minutes before slicing. This will make it much easier to slice. When ready, unwrap and cut into 1cm thick slices, then dice. Put salmon in a medium bowl and drizzle with sesame oil, extra virgin olive oil and soy sauce. Add salt and pepper. Spoon salmon onto a platter.
- In a deep-sided pan or wok, heat cooking oil to about 180ºC when tested with a cook’s thermometer. Fry wontons in batches until crisp, about 30–40 seconds per batch. Set aside. These will be used as a crispy cracker.
- Tumble lime, onions, pickled daikon and radish over salmon.
- Chop lettuce very finely and pile it in a separate serving bowl.
- Serve lettuce, sriracha sauce and wontons alongside the salmon.
- To assemble, spoon salmon mixture on wontons, add a touch of sriracha, and top with lettuce and mint.