125 g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
½ cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup plain flour
½ cup self-raising flour
Pink sprinkles and icing sugar mixture, to decorate
250 g punnet fresh strawberries, halved
2 litre tub vanilla ice-cream
- Grease a 19cm x 30cm lamington pan. Line base and long sides with baking paper, extending paper 4cm above pan edges.
- To make strawberry ice-cream, process strawberries in a food processor until smooth. Strain. Discard seeds. Slightly soften ice-cream in a large bowl at room temperature. Beat with a wooden spoon until smooth. Stir in puree. Spoon into prepared pan. Freeze for 4 hours, or overnight until firm.
- To make biscuits, beat butter, sugar and vanilla in a small bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy. Beat in egg until combined. Stir in sifted flours. Turn dough out onto a clean bench. Shape into a flat disc. Freeze, covered for 30 minutes, or until firm.
- Roll out dough between two sheets baking paper until ½cm thick. Using a 7cm round cutter, cut out 20 rounds, re-rolling dough as necessary. Place 3cm apart on two large oven trays lined with baking paper.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 15 minutes, swapping trays halfway through cooking, or until firm to touch. Stand on trays 5 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Lift out ice-cream from pan onto a board. Cut out a 7cm round. Sandwich between two biscuits. Place on a tray. Repeat with remaining ice-cream and biscuits to make 10 sandwiches. Freeze.
- To serve, press sides of sandwiches in sprinkles. Dust with icing sugar.