Cooking oil spray, to grease
6 x 60 g eggs
185 g caster sugar
1 vanilla pod, split, seeds scraped
40 g butter, melted
180 g self-raising flour, sifted twice
3 tbsp strawberry jam
250 g punnet strawberries, hulled, thinly sliced
200 ml thickened cream, whipped
2 tbsp icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 185°C. Grease a 22cm round springform cake tin with cooking oil spray and line with baking paper.
- Put eggs in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat, using whisk attachment, for 3 minutes or until foamy. With motor running, steadily sprinkle in sugar and add vanilla seeds. Continue whisking until mixture is thick and foamy.
- Gently fold in butter and flour using a large metal spoon. Pour mixture into prepared tin.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Cool in tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Using a large serrated knife, cut cake in half horizontally. Spread jam on bottom half. Top with strawberries, then a layer of cream. Smooth surface, then gently sandwich with top half. Serve dusted with icing sugar.