50 g dark chocolate, finely grated
FOR THE STRAWBERRY PUREE
400 g strawberries, stalks removed and quartered
5 tbsp white caster sugar
FOR THE SOUFFLE
100 ml full-fat milk
1 heaped tbsp plain flour
15 g butter, plus extra for greasing
50 g white caster sugar
2 egg yolks
4 egg whites
½ tsp lemon juice
200 g strawberries, sliced
small pack mint leaves
vanilla ice cream
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and put a tray on the middle shelf. Grease 4 × 200ml ramekins and spoon in a little grated chocolate, tilt to evenly coat the sides and base, then tip out any excess.
- Tip the strawberries into a saucepan, then sprinkle over the sugar and 1 tbsp water. Gently heat until the sugar dissolves. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 mins, stirring occasionally, until the strawberries are soft and start to break down. Leave to cool a little.
- Blend the strawberries until smooth, then pass through a fine sieve into a clean bowl. Chill 75g of the purée until ready to serve. Tip the rest into a saucepan and simmer for 3-5 mins until thickened. Set aside.
- To make the soufflés, put the milk, flour, butter and half the sugar in small pan. Gently heat, stirring continuously, until the mixture has thickened, then bring to the boil and bubble for 2 mins.
- 5 Remove from the heat, add the egg yolks and whisk for a few mins, otherwise the eggs will scramble. Transfer to a large clean bowl, then tip in the strawberry purée and mix well.
- 6 Whisk the egg whites in a large clean bowl until they reach a medium peak. Add the remaining sugar and the lemon juice, and whisk back to a medium peak.
- 7 Using a large metal spoon, take a spoonful of the egg white and stir into the strawberry mix to loosen. Add the remaining egg white and fold in very gently with a spatula, trying not to knock out the air.
- 8 Divide the mixture between the prepared soufflé dishes and smooth across the top using a palette knife.
- 9 Run your thumb around the edge of dish – this will help it rise evenly. Transfer to the tray and bake for 12-15 mins until risen. Dust with icing sugar and serve with the purée or strawberries topped with mint leaves, and ice cream on the side.