225 g unsalted butter, chopped, room temperature
¾ cup caster sugar
1 ½ cups plain flour
½ cup rice flour
2 tsp mixed spice
½ tsp ground cardamom
plus a little extra 1 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Grease a 24cm round, loose-base flan tin.
- Beat butter and sugar in a small bowl of an electric mixer until light and uffy. Add combined sifted flours, mixed spice and cardamom. Beat on low speed until well combined.
- Press mixture over base of prepared tin. Smooth over top. Prick with a fork in a circular pattern all over the top. Combine extra sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over shortbread.
- Cook in a slow oven (150°c) for about 45 to 50 minutes, or until firm to touch. Remove from oven. Cool in tin.
- Serve shortbread cut into wedges.