1¼ cups self-raising flour
⅓ cup caster sugar
125 g unsalted butter, melted
1 cup pitted chopped dates (150 g)
½ cup sultanas
½ cup water
¼ cup caster sugar
⅓ cup honey
25 g unsalted butter
2 cups blanched almonds (300 g)
- Grease an 18cm x 28cm rectangular slice pan. Line base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 3cm above edges.
- To make filling, place all ingredients in a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Stir until sugar dissolves. Bring to boil. Simmer, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes, or until dates are soft. Cool slightly. Process in a food processor until smooth.
- Sift flour and sugar into a large bowl. Stir in butter until combined. Press over base of pan. Smooth over top.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 12 minutes, or until light golden. Cool in pan.
- To make topping, stir honey and butter in a small pan over a medium heat until melted and hot. Stir in almonds.
- Spread date mixture over pastry base. Top evenly with almond mixture.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cool slice completely in pan before cutting into bars.