4 x 340 g packets moist chocolate cake mix
musk sticks, to decorate
small green jelly beans, to decorate
blue and red candy-coated chocolate buttons, to decorate
green sprinkles, to decorate
400 g unsalted butter, at room temperature, chopped
3 ½ cups icing sugar mixture
yellow food colouring gel, to tint
- Grease a 27.5cm square x 7.5cm deep cake pan. Line base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 5cm above pan edges.
- Prepare cake mixes, one at a time, according to packet directions. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth over top.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 1 hour and 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into centre of cake comes out clean. Cover loosely with foil during cooking, if top starts to over-brown. Stand for 30 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- To make frosting, beat butter in a large bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy. Gradually add sugar, ½ cup at a time, beating until smooth. Tint yellow.
- Trim top of cake to sit flat. Invert onto a chopping board. To make shield- shape, measure from two opposite corner points towards centre of cake and mark at 4cm. Cut off points to form sides of shield. Using same method, measure and cut one of the remaining points at 10cm to form top of shield.
- Place cake on a cake board. Spread evenly with frosting. Cut musk sticks into ½ cm-thick slices to form stars. Position jellybeans and stars around base of cake and orange and blue buttons around top of cake, as pictured. Using jelly beans, mark out letter. Fill with sprinkles.