400 g sweet potato, peeled, coarsely grated
420 g canned corn kernels, drained
1 small red onion, finely chopped
⅓ cup fresh coriander, chopped
1 cup self-raising flour
½ cup grated tasty cheese
salt and pepper to taste
¾ cup sour cream
100 g salted corn tortilla chips, crushed
vegetable oil, plus extra for shallow frying
tomato relish to serve
fresh coriander to garnish
- Using your hands, squeeze out liquid from potato. Transfer potato to a large bowl.
- Add corn, onion, coriander, flour and cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Stir until combined.
- Whisk eggs and sour cream in a jug until combined. Add to potato mixture. Mix well. Just before starting to cook fritters, stir in corn chips.
- Heat enough oil in a large, deep frying pan to shallow-fry over a medium heat until hot. Add 1⁄4 cup mixture, spreading slightly to make a fritter (about 7cm in diameter). Repeat to make three more.
- Cook for about 2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Remove. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper. Cover to keep warm. Repeat with remaining mixture to make about 20 fritters in total.
- Serve warm fritters with tomato relish. Garnish with coriander.