200 g sweet potato peeled, cut into thin matchsticks
125 g green beans cut into ½cm slices
2 corn cobs kernels removed
½ bunch fresh coriander chopped
1.25 cups self-raising flour (200 g)
salt & pepper to taste
¾ cup buttermilk (180 mls)
2 eggs separated
1- 2 cups peanut oil for shallow frying
100 g salad leaves
⅓ bunch fresh mint leaves torn
⅓ bunch fresh basil leaves torn
Chilli & ginger dipping sauce
½ cup sweet chilli sauce (125 mls)
1 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- To make chilli and ginger dipping sauce, stir all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Combine potato, beans, corn and coriander in a large bowl. Stir in flour. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in combined buttermilk and egg yolks.
- Beat egg whites in a small bowl of an electric mixer until firm peaks form. Fold into potato mixture.
- Heat enough oil in a large, deep frying pan until hot. Carefully drop 1 heaped tblsp of potato mixture into oil. Repeat to make five fritters. Shallow-fry for about 2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and cooked through. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper. Repeat with remaining potato mixture to make about 20 fritters.
- To serve, combine salad leaves with mint and basil. Serve with hot fritters and chilli and ginger dipping sauce.