2 litres vegetable oil, for deep-frying
100 g rice vermicelli noodles
Extra 1 tbsp vegetable oil
24 raw large peeled prawns, de-veined, tails intact
1 red capsicum, chopped
150 g snow peas, trimmed, halved diagonally
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp cornflour
1 tbsp white vinegar
2 tbsp tomato sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce (or gluten-free alternative)
2 tsp brown sugar
½ cup pineapple juice
- Heat enough oil in a large stockpot to come two-thirds of the way up the side, over a high heat to about 180C using a deep-fry thermometer. Break noodles into small handfuls.
- Add noodles one handful at a time, pressing noodles gently with a slotted spoon to submerge, for about 10 seconds, or until puffed and crisp. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper.
- Heat extra oil in a wok over high heat until hot. Add prawns. Stir-fry about 2 minutes, or until just cooked. Transfer to a plate.
- Add capsicum, snow peas and garlic. Stir-fry for about 1 to 2 minutes, until just tender.
- Blend cornflour and vinegar until smooth. Stir in sauces, sugar and juice. Add to wok with prawns. Stir-fry until sauce mixture boils and thickens.
- Serve over noodles.