8 plum tomatoes, halved
1 tbsp olive oil
100 g butter, softened
1– 2 tsp chipotle paste
150 g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 eggs, beaten
150 ml milk
300 g tin sweetcorn, drained
4 spring onions, chopped
handful of coriander chopped
handful of fresh baby spinach leaves to serve
- Heat the oven to 190C/fan. Put the tomatoes in a baking dish, drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and season well. Roast for 15–20 minutes, or until they’re on the point of collapsing.
- Mash the butter with the chipotle paste, roll into a sausage shape in clingfilm, then chill.
- To make the fritters, put the flour, baking powder and seasoning in a bowl. Mix the eggs and milk, and gradually whisk into the flour to make a batter. Stir in the sweetcorn, onions and coriander.
- Heat olive oil in a pan, add a tbsp of the mix and fry each side for 2–3 minutes until golden.
- Serve the fritters and tomatoes with spinach leaves and a slice or two of butter to melt on top.