1 bunch fresh coriander
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
2 tbsp Thai red curry paste
4 x 5 g chicken stock cubes
1 litre (4 cups) water
1.5 kg Jap pumpkin, peeled, chopped
1 washed potato (250 g) peeled, chopped
1 cup coconut cream
1 tbsp lime juice
Salt and pepper, to taste
Fried onions, to garnish
- Wash coriander under cold water. Pat dry with absorbent kitchen paper. Finely chop coriander roots, reserving the leaves.
- Heat oil in a large stockpot. Add coriander roots, onion and ginger. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add paste. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Add crumbled stock cubes, water, pumpkin and potato to pot. Bring to boil. Simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes, or until pumpkin is soft. Remove. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Blend in batches until smooth. Return to same pot. Add cream. Stir over a medium heat until hot. Don’t boil. Stir in juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish soup with fried onions and reserved coriander leaves.