¼ cup instant coffee granules
⅔ cup boiling water
¼ cup coffee liqueur
2 litre tub vanilla ice-cream
24 sponge finger biscuits
3 egg whites
¾ cup caster sugar
- Grease a 15cm x 23.5cm x 9cm- deep loaf pan. Line base and long sides with baking paper, extending paper 5cm above pan edges.
- Dissolve coffee in water in a heatproof jug. Stir in liqueur. Cool.
- Place ice-cream in a large bowl. Stand at room temperature until slightly softened. Beat with a wooden spoon until smooth. Stir in ¼ cup of the coffee mixture.
- Brush some of the remaining coffee mixture evenly over six of the biscuits to just soak. Arrange lengthways over base of prepared pan. Spoon over half the ice-cream.
- Brush nine of the remaining biscuits with coffee mixture. Arrange over top. Repeat layering with remaining ice-cream, biscuits and coffee mixture. Cover with plastic wrap. Freeze for 6 hours, or overnight, until firm.
- Just before serving, make Italian meringue. Gently whisk egg whites and sugar in a large heatproof bowl sitting over a saucepan of just simmering water until sugar is dissolved and mixture is warm. Don’t let mixture get hot.
- Transfer to a large bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on a medium speed for about 5 minutes, or until thick and glossy.
- Invert bombe onto a serving plate. Remove paper. Spread meringue evenly over top and sides. Use a blowtorch to brown meringue. Serve immediately.