50 g Brazil nuts
sliced banana, berries and maple syrup or honey, to serve
sliced banana, to serve
fresh mixed berries, to se
A drizzle of maple syrup or honey, to serve
For the batter
349 g pack firm silken tofu
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp lemon juice
400 ml unsweetened almond milk
1 tbsp vegetable oil plus 1-2 tbsp extra for frying
250 g buckwheat flour
4 tbsp light muscovado sugar
1½ tsp ground mixed spice
1 tbsp gluten-free baking powder
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan. Scatter the nuts over a baking tray and cook for 5 mins until toasty and golden. Leave to cool, then chop.
- Put the tofu, vanilla, lemon juice and 200ml of the milk into a deep jug or bowl. Using a stick blender, blend together until liquidy, then keep going until it turns thick and smooth. Stir in the oil and the rest of the milk to loosen the mixture.
- Put the dry ingredients and 1 tsp salt in a large bowl and whisk to combine. If there are any lumps in the sugar, squish them with your fingers. Make a well in the centre, pour in the tofu mix and bring together to make a thick batter.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan and swirl around 1 tsp oil. Using a ladle or large serving spoon, drop in 3 tbps of batter, easing it out gently in the pan to make pancakes that are about 12cm across. Cook for 2 mins on the first side or until bubbles pop over most of the surface. Loosen with a palette knife, then flip over the pancakes and cook for 1 min more or until puffed up and firm. Cook the rest of the batter, using a little more oil each time.
- Serve warm with sliced banana, berries, toasted nuts and a good drizzle of maple syrup or honey.