8 asparagus spears, ends trimmed, diagonally sliced
1 small fennel bulbs
50 g fresh baby spinach
500 g mixed tomatoes
50 g bocconcini, cut into 2cm pieces
½ cup small basil
2 Tbsp finely shredded Parmesan
Lemon and eschalot vinaigrette
2 eschalots, finely chopped
3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a small saucepan of water to the boil. Add asparagus and cook for 1-2 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse under cold water to cool quickly. Drain again.
- To make the vinaigrette, combine the eschalots, lemon juice, oil, garlic and pepper in a small bowl. Stir and set aside.
- Trim fennel, reserving fronds. Snip or finely chop enough fronds to get 2 tsp. If desired, reserve additional fronds to serve. Halve and core fennel bulb and cut into very thin slices
- Put asparagus, fennel slices, spinach, tomato, bocconcini and basil in a bowl. Toss to combine. Stir chopped fennel fronds into vinaigrette and add to the salad. Toss to combine
- To serve, sprinkle parmesan over salad and top with additional fennel fronds, if using.