4 cups gluten-free tortilla chips
8 small frozen hoki fillets, defrosted
Sea-salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to season
1 cup gluten-free plain flour
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tbsp milk
1- 2 cups vegetable oil, to shallow-fry
1 cup pistachio kernels
6 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp fine salt
¼ cup brandy
Finely grated zest of 1 orange
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
250 g punnet cherry tomatoes halved
4 large gherkins, finely sliced lengthways
½ red onion sliced
2 tbsp pitted Kalamata olives chopped
1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
1 lime, juiced
- Put tortilla chips in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely crushed. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Line a large plate with a paper towel and set aside. Pat fish fillets dry with paper towel, then season. Put flour in a shallow dish. Whisk eggs and milk in a shallow bowl. Lightly coat fish in flour, then egg mixture, followed by tortilla crumbs until well coated. Transfer to a clean plate.
- Pour enough oil into a deep frying pan until oil comes 4cm up side of pan. Heat over a medium heat, then cook fish, in batches, for 2 minutes each side or until golden and cooked through. Transfer to large plate.
- Meanwhile, put pistachios, garlic and salt in a mortar and grind using a pestle until a paste forms. Add brandy, zest and oil, reserving 1 Tbsp of the oil. Stir until mixture is well combined. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a serving dish.
- Put tomato, gherkin, onion, olives and parsley in a large bowl. Drizzle with lime juice and reserved olive oil, tossing to combine. Serve fried fish with pistachio sauce and salad.