40 g Mexican seasoning mix
¼ cup thick tomato sauce
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
1.5 kg whole beef chuck steak
¾ cup of water
3 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup warm water
½ cup vegetable oil
3 pieces chipotle chillies in adobo sauce
1 cup whole-egg mayonnaise
1 large Lebanese cucumber
3 tomatoes, halved lengthways, sliced
1 large avocado, flesh sliced
2 green chillies, thinly sliced
4 radishes, trimmed, finely shredded
- Combine seasoning mix, tomato sauce and Worcestershire sauce in a large deep ceramic bowl. Add beef and turn to coat well with marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or preferably overnight.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Transfer beef to a casserole. Add water to base of casserole and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Roast for 2-2½ hours or until beef is very tender. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in centre of mixture. Add warm water and oil and stir slowly until a dough forms. Enclose dough in plastic wrap and stand for 20 minutes. Divide mixture into 1/3-cup capacity sizes and roll into small balls. Place 1 ball between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and put in a tortilla press to form a 15cm round. Alternatively, roll out dough to a 15cm round. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Heat a medium frying pan over a medium heat. When pan is hot, add 1 tortilla and cook for 1 minute or until light golden and beginning to bubble. Turn and cook for a further 30 seconds or until just cooked through. Transfer to a large plate. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, put chillies and mayonnaise into the small bowl of a food processor and process until a smooth sauce forms. Set aside.
- Using a vegetable peeler, run blade down length of cucumber to form ribbons. Thinly slice or shred beef. Layer tomato, beef, cucumber, avocado, green chilli and radish on top of tortillas. Top with sauce and serve open or roll into a wrap.