120 g butter plus extra for greasing
120 g dark cooking chocolate, coarsely chopped
85 g 70% cocoa chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 cup caster sugar
1 Tbsp instant espresso coffee
1 tsp vanilla extract
⅔ cup plain flour
¼ tsp baking powder
⅛ tsp salt
1 cup dark chocolate baking bits
Chocolate cream cheese frosting
½ cup dark cooking chocolate
80 g cream cheese
¼ cup icing sugar
Chocolate-covered coffee beans, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 20 x 20 x 5cm slice tin with greased baking paper. Set aside. Put butter and dark cooking chocolate and 70% chocolate in a medium saucepan. Stir over low heat until melted. Allow to cool.
- Stir sugar into chocolate mixture. Add eggs, one at a time, beating with a wooden spoon after each addition until just combined. Stir in espresso powder and vanilla.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Add flour mixture to chocolate mixture; stir until just combined. Stir in chocolate bits. Spread batter evenly in prepared tin. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Set aside to cool in the tin on a wire rack.
- To make chocolate cream cheese frosting, put chocolate in a small saucepan and stir over low heat until melted. Set aside to cool. Put cream cheese and sugar in a medium bowl and stir, then stir in melted chocolate until smooth.
- Spread frosting over brownies. Using edges of baking paper, lift out of tin and cut into squares. Sprinkle with chocolate-covered coffee beans, if desired, and serve.