4 egg whites
½ tsp cream of tartar
1 cup caster sugar
blue food colouring gel, to tint
290 g bag white chocolate melts
orange food colouring gel, to tint
green food colouring gel, to tint
1 small packet M&M's minis or other mini-sized candy-coated chocolate pieces
writing icing pen (we used blue)
candy eyes (see notes, below)
- Trace 12 x 5.5cm circles, about 2cm apart, onto one sheet of baking paper. Place trace-side down onto a greased, large oven tray.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in a small bowl of an electric mixer until soft peaks form. With motor operating, add sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, beating well after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue to beat meringue for a further 10 minutes, or until smooth and glossy. Tint blue with colouring. Beat until combined.
- Spoon mixture into a piping bag fitted with a 2cm plain nozzle. Pipe mixture onto circles onto prepared tray.
- Cook in a very slow oven (120C) for about 1 hour, 20 minutes, or until meringues are dry and firm to touch. Turn off oven. Leave to cool in oven with door ajar.
- Divide melted chocolate between two small bowls. Tint one bowl orange and the other green with colourings.
- Gently dip tops of six of the meringues in orange chocolate. Place on a tray lined with baking paper. Repeat with remaining meringues and green chocolate.
- To make faces, use writing icing as glue to attach candy eyes and chocolate minis for noses. Pipe on mouths, as pictured.