¾ cup medium-grain brown rice
1½ cups water
350 g sweet potato, peeled, cut into 2cm pieces
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp bush spice seasoning
Salt and pepper, to taste
⅓ cup light olive oil
425 g can Sirena tuna in spring water, drained, flaked
1 tbsp plain flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup chopped roasted capsicum strips (200 g)
¾ cup grated Tasty cheese
3 green spring onions, thinly sliced
Tomato relish, to serve
Greek yoghurt, to serve
Green salad leaves, to serve
- Place rice and water in a small saucepan. Bring to boil. Simmer, covered for 25 minutes. Remove from heat. Stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Drain off excess water. Spread over an oven tray. Refrigerate until cold.
- Meanwhile, toss potato in garlic, seasoning, salt and pepper and 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large roasting pan.
- Cook, uncovered, in a hot oven (200C) for about 20 minutes, or until tender. Cool.
- Transfer half the potato to a large bowl. Mash with a fork. Add rice, tuna, flour, egg, capsicum, cheese, onions and remaining sweet potato. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Shape into 12 even patties (about 1/3 cup in each). Refrigerate until firm.
- Heat remaining oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add patties in two batches. Cook for about 5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper.
- Serve with relish, yoghurt and mixed leaves.