Vegetable oil, to grease
800 g caster sugar
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
375 ml water
140 g cornflour
1½ tsp cream of tartar
Extra 500 ml water
2 Tbsp rosewater
½ tsp rose-pink liquid food colouring
1 tsp citric acid
1 cup icing sugar mixture
- Line base and sides of a 27 x 17cm slice tin with baking paper, then grease with oil. Combine sugar, lemon juice and water in a medium saucepan over a medium heat and stir until sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil and cook until mixture reaches 115°C on a sugar thermometer. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, mix cornflour, cream of tartar and extra water in a second medium saucepan. Put over a medium heat and cook, beating constantly with electric hand beaters on medium, for 5 minutes or until mixture thickens and resembles mashed potato.
- Add warm syrup to cornflour mixture, 1 ladle at a time, beating in with beaters until smooth. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring regularly, for 1 hour or until light golden and forming a ball in middle of saucepan when stirred.
- Combine rosewater, food colouring and citric acid in a small bowl, then spoon into pan. Set aside for 5 hours or preferably overnight until firm (do not cover).
- Sprinkle a little of the icing sugar over a chopping board, then turn out Turkish delight on top and cut into squares using a lightly oiled knife. Toss Turkish delight squares in remaining icing sugar to serve.