And given that the hams from Simon Johnson - known for their luxury edible gifts - may have been given as Christmas presents, Australians far and wide are being urged to make sure they’ve checked the hams in the fridge.
Vic’s Meats says the 'remote chance' of potential contamination was discovered in routine quality assurance testing.
'Your health and trust is our first and last priority,' the company told Daily Mail.
They added that they’ve launched a full investigation to find out how the contamination occurred.
'We need to point out, the brining, cooking and smoking of the Hams was not conducted by Vic's. There is no risk of cross-contamination with any other products manufactured at our facilities.'
Health experts warn that exposure to Listeria bacteria can cause serious illness and even death - particularly with vulnerable people such as those with weak immunity, pregnant women and their unborn children.
Symptoms include fever, tiredness, aches, pains and headaches - as well as nausea, cramping and diarrhoea. In some severe cases it can cause sepsis and meningitis.
Anyone with any fears of exposure to Listeria should contact a doctor or their local hospital immediately.