¾ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
820 g can apricot halves in juice
125 g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
½ cup milk
1 ½ cups self-raising flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
Vanilla custard, to serve
- Grease a 22cm round, 7cm deep cake pan. Line base and side with baking paper. Sprinkle ¼ cup of the sugar over base.
- Drain apricots well. Pat dry with absorbent kitchen paper. Arrange cut-side up over base of prepared pan in a single layer.
- Beat butter and remaining brown sugar in a small bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until just combined. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in milk and combined, sifted flour and cinnamon in two batches. Spoon over apricots. Smooth over top.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 1 hour, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 20 minutes. Invert onto a serving plate.
- Serve cake warm, with vanilla custard.