URGENT WARNING after 2 Australians die after eating contaminated smoked salmon
And ANOTHER victim is fighting for their life with listeria poisoning
Authorities have issued an urgent warning following the death of two Australians after eating contaminated smoked salmon.
The two victims from NSW and Victoria are believed to have died after contracting listeria after eating the tainted seafood. A third victim from Queensland is now fighting for their life, and it’s unknown whether more victims will develop symptoms.
'Investigations have implicated smoked salmon as the likely source,' Australian chief medical officer Brendan Murphy said in a statement.
'All cases occurred in people aged over 70 years and all had significant underlying health conditions.
'This is a timely reminder for people to ensure that food is handled, prepared and stored safely, and that those most at-risk of listeriosis avoid certain foods.'
The victims died after eating contaminated smoked salmon.
Health experts warn that exposure to Listeria bacteria can cause serious illness and even death - particularly with vulnerable people such as those with weak immunity, pregnant women and their unborn children.
Symptoms include fever, tiredness, aches, pains and headaches - as well as nausea, cramping and diarrhoea. In some severe cases it can cause sepsis and meningitis.
Anyone with any fears of exposure to Listeria should contact a doctor or their local hospital immediately.
Amy SinclairAmy Sinclair is the editor of New Idea Food. She is a former weekly magazine editor who loves all things food, cooking and eating - especially the eating! When she's not looking after her three children, you'll find her in the kitchen or busily hiding online shopping purchases from her husband.