The Ooshie became lodged in one of the dog’s intestines and caused a gastrointestinal obstruction, reported The Observer.
“The reason that I was worried with those particular toys is that they are popular at the moment and the popularity might be waning a little bit with the kids and they are going to leave them lying around,” Dr Hayes said.
“That particular toy that was a giveaway is now something quite expensive for that one particular client of ours.
“Pop them away and make sure that kids and dogs can’t get anywhere near them because potentially the same sort of thing could happen with a child if they were to eat one.”
Dr Hayes said other foreign objects to be kept away from dogs included corn cobs, macadamia nuts and mango seeds.
He advised if a dog had eaten something of that nature to call a vet.
This story first appeared on Practical Parenting.