250 g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
2¼ cups caster sugar
3 tsp vanilla bean paste
5 eggs, at room temperature
3½ cups self-raising flour
1 cup buttermilk
200 g punnet fresh blueberries, to decorate
Creme fraiche custard
½ cup custard powder
⅓ cup caster sugar
2 cups milk
200 ml tub creme fraiche
- Grease a 24cm x 30cm roasting pan, 5cm deep. Base measures 20.5cm x 30cm base (15 cup-capacity). Line base and sides with baking paper.
- Beat butter, sugar and paste in a bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Mixture will appear curdled at this stage. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Stir in sifted flour and buttermilk in two batches. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth over top.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for 1 hour, or until cooked when tested. Remove from oven. Stand in pan for 30 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack lined with baking paper.
- Meanwhile, make custard. Whisk custard powder, sugar and ½ cup of the milk in a medium bowl until smooth. Bring remaining milk to boil in a large saucepan. Gradually whisk in custard powder mixture. Bring to boil. Boil, whisking, for about 2 minutes, or until thickened. Transfer custard to a medium bowl. Cover. Refrigerate for about 1 hour, or until cold.
- Beat custard and creme fraiche in a small bowl with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Spread custard over cold cake. Decorate with blueberries.