4 Corella pears, peeled, stems intact
1 litre water
1 vanilla bean pod, seeds scraped out (keep empty pod)
1 cinnamon stick
½ cup caster sugar
3 cardamom pods, crushed
½ punnet fresh strawberries, to serve
½ punnet fresh blueberries, to serve
2 tbsp maple syrup, to serve
Toasted coconut yoghurt
1 cup desiccated coconut
1 tsp rosewater
1 litre thick Greek-style natural yoghurt
2 tbsp caster sugar
- Place water, sugar, cinnamon stick, vanilla pod seeds, empty vanilla pod and cardamom pods in a large saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Add pears and cover with a lid, reduce to a simmer and let pears poach for about 20 minutes or until soft. Remove from the poaching liquid.
- Meanwhile, place desiccated coconut on an oven tray and bake at 200°C until toasty and brown (about 5 mins – make sure you watch your coconut it can burn very quickly).
- Mix rosewater, coconut (reserving a small amount of coconut to sprinkle on top when serving) and sugar into Greek yoghurt.
- Serve pears in a bowl with yoghurt, berries and a light drizzle of maple syrup.