6 eggs, separated
1 cup caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup plain flour
dollop cream, to serve
fresh strawberries, to serve
⅔ cup sweetened condensed milk
½ cup full cream milk
¾ cup evaporated milk
- Grease two x six-hole Texas muffin pans (3/4-cup capacity).
- Beat yolks, sugar and extract in small bowl of an electric mixer until thick and pale. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Clean small bowl. Add egg whites. Beat with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Fold into egg yolk mixture in two batches, until just combined. Fold in sifted flour. Divide evenly into prepared pans (about 1/3 cup in each).
- Cook in moderate oven (180C) for about 25 minutes, or until cooked when tested. Leave in pans.
- Meanwhile, make milk syrup by combining all ingredients in a medium jug.
- Using a skewer, pierce hot cakes all over from the top to the base. Gradually pour milk mixture over tops, allowing about 2 tbsp in each. Stand at room temperature for about 15 minutes, or until soaked. Cover pans with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- To serve, remove cakes from pans. Serve with cream and strawberries.