6 x 100 g uncrumbed veal schnitzels
½ cup plain flour
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1½ cups fresh breadcrumbs (100 g)
¾ cup dried breadcrumbs (75 g)
1- 2 cups vegetable oil, for shallow-frying
250 g bulb mozzarella, cut into ½cm-thick slices
fresh green beans, steamed, to serve
Fresh basil leaves, to garnish
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 x 400 g cans chopped tomatoes
½ cup fresh basil leaves
- To make sauce, heat oil in a medium saucepan over a medium to high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, until soft. Add tomatoes. Bring to boil. Gently boil for 15 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Stir in basil.
- Meanwhile, dust veal in flour seasoned with salt and pepper. Shake away excess. Dip in eggs. Coat in combined breadcrumbs, pressing crumbs on firmly.
- Heat enough oil in a large, deep frying pan to shallow-fry. Add veal in two batches. Cook for about 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper.
- Place veal in a large ovenproof dish in a single layer. Spoon over sauce. Top with cheese.
- Cook in a hot (200C) oven for about 10 minutes, or until cheese is golden and bubbling.
- Serve with beans. Garnish with basil.