1 tbsp oil
3- 4 tbsp red curry paste, to taste
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp brown sugar
zest of 1 lime
2 kaffir lime leaves (optional)
400 ml can coconut cream
3 cups chicken stock
8 cherry tomatoes, chopped, or 1 cup canned tomatoes
¼ cup chopped fresh coriander, to garnish
¼ cup roasted peanuts, to garnish
250 g potatoes
250 g sweet potatoes
250 g pumpkin
250 g eggplant
300 g canned chickpeas, drained and washed
200 g green beans or other green vegetable
- To make curry base, heat oil in a large pot and gently fry curry paste, tomato paste, ginger, fish sauce and brown sugar for a minute or two until they smell aromatic.
- Add lime zest kaffir leaves if using, coconut cream, stock, and chopped tomatoes.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add “dense” vegetables and chickpeas to curry base and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add green vegetables, stir to combine, cover and simmer gently without stirring until vegetables are cooked through, 8-10 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander and peanuts.