¾ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
2 tbsp Vegemite
½ cup milk
75 g unsalted butter, melted, cooled
100 g dark cooking chocolate, melted, cooled
1 ½ cups plain flour
¼ cup cocoa powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Vegemite caramel buttercream
150 g unsalted butter, chopped, at room temperature
1 cup icing sugar mixture
¼ cup canned caramel
1 tbsp Vegemite
200 g dark cooking chocolate, finely chopped
½ cup pure cream
- Line a 12 hole-muffin pan (1/3-cup capacity) with paper cases.
- Beat eggs, sugar and Vegemite in a small bowl of an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in milk and butter until combined. Gradually beat in chocolate until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl. Sift over combined flour, cocoa and soda. Fold until combined. Divide evenly among prepared cases.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until cooked when tested. Stand in pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make ganache, stir chocolate and cream in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water until smooth. Remove. Cool until thickened.
- To make buttercream, beat butter and sugar in small bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in caramel and Vegemite until smooth.
- Alternately, spoon ganache and buttercream into a piping bag fitted with a 1.5cm star nozzle. Starting from the edge, pipe decoratively onto cupcakes.