2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 brown onions, finely chopped
5 cloves garlic, smashed
1.5 l salt-reduced chicken stock
2 l hot water
1 smoked ham hock joint
10 sprigs thyme
sea salt flakes and black pepper to season
250 g butternut pumpkin, peeled, seeded, chopped into 3cm chunks
4 carrots, sliced into 2cm thick rounds
4 celery sticks, sliced into 2cm thick pieces
400 g canned chopped tomatoes with herbs
⅓ cup parsley leaves, plus extra to garnish
2 fresh bay leaves
1 zucchini, roughly chopped
60 g baby spinach leaves
finely grated fresh lemon zest, plus lemon wedges to serve
- Heat oil in a large heavybased saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, cook for 5 minutes or until onion is soft.
- Pour in chicken stock and hot water and bring to a simmer.
- Add ham hock and thyme. Simmer, partially covered, for 1 hour.
- Taste and season. Add pumpkin, carrot, celery, canned tomatoes, parsley and bay leaves. Return to a simmer and cook for a further 30 minutes until pumpkin is very soft and falling apart.
- Remove ham hock. Add zucchini and spinach and cook for a further 5 minutes or until zucchini is just tender. Taste again and season. Top with extra parsley and a sprinkle of zest. Serve with lemon wedges and scones for dipping.