125 g packet microwave brown rice
1 red onion, halved through the stem
8 button mushrooms, stems trimmed
1 small zucchini cut into 2 cm-thick slices (125 g)
250 g punnet small cherry tomatoes
4 x 24 cm long wooden skewers
¼ cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1½ cups coarsely chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
1 tbsp lemon juice
400 g can chickpeas, drained
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large clove garlic, chopped
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp water
salt and pepper, to taste
- To make hummus, place all ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Heat rice according to packet instructions. Place in a large bowl. Refrigerate until cool.
- Meanwhile, cut one onion half into four wedges, leaving stem intact. Thread onion wedges, mushrooms, zucchini and eight of the tomatoes alternately onto skewers. Stir half the oil into garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Brush over skewers.
- Heat an oiled, grill plate over a medium heat. Cook skewers, turning regularly, for about 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden and tender.
- Finely chop remaining onion and tomatoes. Add to rice with parsley, rind, juice and remaining oil. Stir to combine.
- Serve with skewers and a generous serve of freshly made hummus.