2 tsp cornflour
1 tbsp water
300 g packet frozen spring roll pastry sheets, thawed
2 litres vegetable oil, for deep-frying
Sweet and sour sauce, to serve
15 g sliced dried shiitake mushrooms
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp finely grated fresh ginger
2 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp vegetable oil
3 cups finely shredded Chinese cabbage
5 green spring onions, cut into thin matchsticks
1 carrot, peeled, cut into thin matchsticks
½ x 230 g can sliced water chestnuts, drained, cut into thin matchsticks
Sticky chilli sauce
⅓ cup sweet chilli sauce
¼ cup kecap manis
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp chopped chives
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp cornflour
¼ cup white vinegar
⅔ cup pineapple juice
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup tomato sauce
- Soak 15g sliced dried shiitake mushrooms in warm water until soft. Drain. Cover 70g vermicelli noodles with boiling water. Stand for 5 minutes. Drain, then chop.
- Follow method for making Chinese spring rolls.
- In filling, omit pork. Stir-fry garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil, cabbage, onions, carrot, chestnuts and mushrooms in 1 tbsp vegetable oil for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in noodles. Cool.
- To make sauce, combine sweet chilli sauce with kecap manis, lime juice, chopped chives, and sesame oil.
- Blend cornflour with white vinegar in a small saucepan. Stir in unsweetened pineapple juice, brown sugar and tomato sauce. Bring to the boil, then simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Cool. Makes 1 cup.