3 x 440 g packets chocolate cake mix
200 g ready-to-roll white icing
chocolate biscuits, crushed
edible vegetable garden cake toppers (see tip)
mini chalkboard, to decorate
350 g unsalted butter, chopped, room temperature
3 ½ cups icing sugar mixture
1 Tbsp milk
green food colouring gel
- Grease two x 22cm round cake pans. Line bases and sides with baking paper, extending paper 4cm above pan edges.
- Prepare cake mixes, one at a time, according to packet directions, reserving icing sachets for another use. Divide between prepared pans. Smooth tops.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 1 hour, 5 minutes, or until cooked when tested. Remove. Stand in pans for 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- To make frosting, beat butter in a large bowl of an electric mixer until pale. Beat in sugar, ½ cup at a time, until smooth. Beat in milk. Tint green with gel. Reserve 1 cup of frosting.
- Trim top of cakes to sit flat. Place one cake onto a cake board. Spread top with ½ cup frosting. Invert remaining cake on top. Spread remaining frosting over top and side of cakes.
- Knead icing on a clean bench until smooth. Roll out between two sheets of baking paper into a 14cm x 20cm rectangle, about 5mm thick. With long side facing you, cut out seven strips, 2cm wide. Cut strips in half crossways. Trim two corners from each to represent palings.
- Cut remaining icing into 14 strips, 1.5cm wide by 3cm long. Alternately, arrange all strips around cake to make a fence, as pictured.
- Place reserved frosting into a piping bag, fitted with a 7mm star nozzle (8 point). Pipe around edge of cake. Sprinkle biscuits in the centre.
- Decorate with mini flowers and vegetable cake toppers. Insert chalkboard sign.