4 eggs, or a carton of egg whites
250 g caster sugar
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp cornflour
400 g strawberries, hulled and halved if large
300 g raspberries
1 tbsp icing sugar
150 g blueberries
300 ml whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 150C/fan 130C. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment and draw a large circle in pencil round a bowl or dinner plate approximately 25cm. Turn the paper over.
- Separate the eggs. Freeze the yolks for making custard or ice cream.
- Whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks. Add the sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, whisking between each addition until the mixture is smooth, thick and glossy.
- Whisk in the vinegar and cornflour.
- Put large spoonfuls of meringue on the parchment inside the circle until it is evenly filled.
- Make a dip in the centre with the back of a spoon and bring up the sides a little. Put the pavlova in the oven and bake for 1 hour. Turn the oven off, leave the door ajar and let the meringue cool completely.
- To make the sauce, blend 75g of strawberries and 75g of the raspberries to a purée with the icing sugar, then sieve into a bowl. Softly whip the cream and vanilla.
- Top the meringue with the cream, the rest of the fruit, and berry sauce.