At the time, Brisbane vet Dr Ray Baxter said that owners should show care when giving their dogs rope toys to play with.
‘I removed multiple pieces of rope from Angel’s stomach, it had tied knots around her intestines – the rope was all chewed up, but one piece was approximately 40 cm long,’ Dr Baxter told That’s Life.
‘Pet owners think just because a toy is sold, it is safe, but evidentially this is not always the case and we really should be more cautious with what we give our animals.
‘I recommend for people to supervise at all times when their dog is playing with a toy or give them nothing at all to avoid this happening in the future.’
Last month another pet owner issued a grave warning over another Kmart dog toy after her pup became gravely ill - and earlier this year a $5 Kmart chew toy was linked to numerous emergency surgeries, leading to another warning from vets.