1 litre (4 cups) chicken stock
1 litre (4 cups) water
2 large chicken breasts (560 g), trimmed
2 tbsp light soy sauce (or gluten-free alternative)
1 tbsp fish sauce
3 cm piece fresh ginger, peeled, thinly sliced
1 star anise
4 green spring onions, thinly sliced diagonally
200 g packet dried Pad Thai rice noodles
½ cup fresh coriander leaves
Sliced red chilli, to garnish
Chilli sauce, to serve
- To make soup, combine stock, water, chicken, sauces, ginger and star anise in a large saucepan. Bring to boil. Gently simmer, uncovered, for about 5 minutes, or until chicken is almost cooked. Remove chicken. Strain soup. Return to same pan.
- Cool chicken, then cut into thin slices.
- Return soup to boil over a high heat. Add chicken and onions. Simmer for 2 minutes, or until chicken is cooked.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles according to packet directions. Drain well.
- To serve, divide noodles between serving bowls. Top with coriander. Pour in soup. Garnish with chilli. Serve with chilli sauce.