A popular Kmart dog toy has been slammed by a top Aussie vet, who says the $5 chew treat has been linked to two emergency cases in one week.
Queensland’s Wilston Vet shared the dire warning on their Facebook page, claiming that the bargain chain store’s ‘Two Handled Tug Pet Toy’ can break off easily and become lodged in a dog’s stomach.
The veterinary clinic goes on to say that obstructions from the Kmart toy lead to two ‘major’ emergency surgeries last week, leading them to issue the urgent warning.
Sharing X-ray photos of the dogs’ obstructions, the Facebook post reads: ‘PLEASE SHARE THIS POST TO YOUR DOGGY FRIENDS......Last week two completely separate dogs ( unrelated and unbeknownst to each other) came in on consecutive days to a local emergency centre both with an obstructed gastrointestinal tract. (Vomiting, not eating and very sick).
‘Both had a foreign body lodged in their upper intestine. Both required major abdominal surgery to remove the obstruction. In both cases it was a $5 K-MART dog chew toy. Warn everyone out there. They are brittle, and somehow break, and dogs think it's a good idea to swallow them. The offending "Two Handled Tug Pet Toy" is pictured below.’
Wilston Vet issued the warning over this Kmart chew toy for dogs.
They say the chew toy can break off easily and become lodged in the dog's stomach, as this x-ray image shows.
Image: Wilston Vet/Facebook
Wilston Vet goes on to say that they’ve already contacted Kmart with their concerns, in the urgent hope that they remove the item from sale.
They write: ‘And in case you are wondering, our colleagues who saw these patients have contacted K-MART directly to remove them from their shelves....so let’s hope they do.’
Amy SinclairAmy Sinclair is the editor of New Idea Food. She is a former weekly magazine editor who loves all things food, cooking and eating - especially the eating! When she's not looking after her three children, you'll find her in the kitchen or busily hiding online shopping purchases from her husband.