500 g cold unsalted butter, chopped
1 cup pure icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
2 free-range eggs, room temperature
6 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 x 1 kg packets ready-to-roll white icing
¼ cup liquid glucose
pink food colouring
rose spirit liquid (see tips)
art paintbrush, to decorate
edible gold stars, to decorate
- Grease and line four large oven trays with baking paper.
- To make dough, place half of each the butter, sugar and paste in a food processor. Process, scraping down side of bowl, until combined. Add one of the eggs. Process until combined. Add half the flour and half the baking powder. Pulse to form a soft dough.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured bench. Knead until smooth. Divide in half. Shape into discs. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, repeat with remaining ingredients to make another two discs.
- One at a time, roll out each disc between two sheets of baking paper to about ½cm thickness. Using an 8cm heart-shaped cutter, cut out shapes, re-rolling dough until it is used. Place 2cm apart, on prepared oven trays.
- Cook two trays at a time, in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 15 minutes, or until light golden. Remove. Cool biscuits on trays completely.
- To decorate, knead a quarter of the icing on a clean bench until smooth. Roll out icing between two sheets of baking paper until 3mm thick. Heat the glucose until runny.
- Working with one biscuit at a time, brush top lightly with glucose. Using same heartshaped cutter, cut out a heart of icing. Lift and press onto biscuit. Repeat with remaining biscuits, glucose and icing.
- Add a few drops of pink colouring to 1 tblsp rose spirit liquid in a small bowl. One at a time, brush onto icing using paint brush. Decorate with stars. Stand at room temperature until colouring is dry and icing is firm.
- To give as a gift, place each biscuit in a small cellophane bag. Tie with ribbon.