1 bunch rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 3 cm lengths (470 g)
2 x 250 g punnet strawberries, cutting large strawberries in half
1 tsp allspice
⅓ cup rice malt syrup
1 cinnamon quill
1 tbsp water
natural yoghurt, or coconut yoghurt, or vanilla ice-cream, to serve
½ cup rolled oats
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup almond meal
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1 Pinch salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
25 g butter, melted
- Combine rhubarb, strawberries, allspice, syrup, quill and water in a medium saucepan. Stir occasionally over a medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until fruit starts to break down into a sauce, but with the berries still holding their shape. Don’t allow it to become too soft and mushy. Remove and cool.
- To make crumble, combine oats, baking powder, meal, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Fold in egg then use fingertips to crumb the mixture.
- Transfer fruit mixture to an ovenproof pie dish (6-cup capacity). Sprinkle crumble evenly over the top. Drizzle with butter.
- Cook in a moderate oven (180C) for about 15 minutes, or until golden.
- Serve with yoghurt or ice-cream.