Melted butter, for greasing
125 g white chocolate, finely chopped
125 g unsalted butter, chopped
½ cup water
¾ cup caster sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tsp vanilla bean paste
¾ cup plain flour
½ cup self-raising flour
Double cream, to serve (optional)
Orange caramel sauce
2 large oranges
1 cup caster sugar
½ cup water
- Grease six ovenproof dishes (3/4-cup capacity) with melted butter.
- To make sauce, remove rind from one orange with a zester. Juice both oranges. You will need 2/3 cup juice.
- Stir sugar and water in a medium saucepan over a low heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to boil. Gently boil, without stirring, for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from heat. Carefully but quickly, add juice and rind. Return to a low heat. Stir until caramel is smooth. Pour into a heatproof jug. Cool to room temperature.
- Place chocolate in a large heatproof bowl. Melt butter with water in a saucepan over a medium heat, until hot. Pour over chocolate. Stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Whisk in sugar. Add eggs, vanilla and combined sifted flours. Whisk until smooth. Divide evenly among prepared dishes. Place in a large roasting pan.
- Pour enough boiling water into roasting pan to come halfway upsides of dishes. Cover pan with foil.
- Cook in a moderately slow oven (160C) for about 1 hour 10 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of puddings comes out clean. Remove dishes from pan. Stand for 10 minutes.
- Turn out onto serving plates. Drizzle with sauce. Serve with cream.