If you’re a fan of using self-order touchscreens at McDonalds, this next report is likely to make you think twice about using it again!
New research in UK has revealed that fecal matter was found on every McDonald’s touch screen they tested in London and Birmingham.
The study by UK paper Metro found a wide range of bacteria on the touch screens tested, which was concerning to Senior Lecturer in Microbiology at London Metropolitan University Dr. Paul Matawele
‘We were all surprised how much gut and [fecal] bacteria there was on the touchscreen machines,’ he told Metro. ‘These cause the kind of infections that people pick up in hospitals.’
One bacteria of particular worry to Dr Matawele was staphylococcus, which is described by the medic as ‘so contagious’ and has been linked to Toxic Shock Syndrome. Other germs of concern were the traces of listeria, klebsiella and proteus.
When contacted by Metro, a McDonald's rep commented ‘our self-order screens are cleaned frequently throughout the day. All of our restaurants also provide facilities for customers to wash their hands before eating.’
And while the UK is a long way away from Australia and we’re sure things are very different at McDonald’s restaurants here, it doesn’t hurt to carry some anti-bacterial wipes in your handbag! Right?!