15 - 20 small wild apples or sour apples, peeled and quartered
¾ cup caster sugar
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 pinch cinnamon
5 tbsp plain flour
2 cups oats
⅓ cup brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
75 g diced butter
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Throw apples into a saucepan with both sugars and cinnamon over a medium heat, and cook for about 10 minutes or until the fruit is soft. Don’t worry about the initial lack of liquid. After a few minutes a liquid will form and the brown sugar will begin to caramelise it. Set aside.
- To make crumble mixture, combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Using the tips of your fingers, mix the butter through flour mixture, so it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Spoon the apple mixture into the bowl. Drizzle over as much of the sugar syrup as you desire. If you don’t want your crumble to be too sweet, leave some syrup to the side.
- Spoon over the crumble mixture and place it into the oven for 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the caramel apples are bubbling up the sides.
- Serve with custard or ice cream, or as we have it, with natural yoghurt to cut through some of that sweetness.