50 g Puy lentils
1.2 kg potatoes, cut into chunks
150 ml milk
100 g butter
4 tbsp wild garlic, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
2 shallots, finely chopped
2 tbsp tarragon, finely chopped
25 g butter
1 lemon, zest plus ½ juice
1 orange, zest plus 1 tbsp juice
12- 16 asparagus spears, woody stalks removed
- Bring a small pan of water to the boil. Add the lentils and cook for 15-20 mins until tender. Drain and set aside for later.
- Boil the potatoes in a big pan of salted water until they are cooked, about 15 mins. Drain in a colander. Put the milk and butter into the pan and warm gently until the butter softens.
- Put potatoes back in the pan and mash with milk, butter, wild garlic and seasoning. If you are using spring onions and chives or watercress, add them at this point.
- Meanwhile, dress the lentils. Heat the olive oil over a medium heat, fry the shallots for 1 min, add the tarragon and cook for a few secs more. Stir in the lentils, butter, lemon and orange zest and juice and heat until the butter melts. Remove from the heat and season well.
- Heat a griddle pan or grill. Drizzle the asparagus spears with oil, sprinkle with sea salt, then cook for a few mins, turning frequently until lightly golden on all sides.
- Divide mash between warmed plates, add 3-4 asparagus spears to each, then spoon over lentils and juices from the pan.