A woman has died after sustaining a serious brain injury after falling headfirst into a metal straw.
Elena Struthers-Gardner, 60, was holding a metal straw - fixed into place by her cup - when she collapsed, causing the straw to enter to left eye socket and pierce her brain.
The British woman was rushed to hospital, but tragically died from the injury the following day.
The horrific incident has forced authorities to issue an urgent safety warning, alerting people to the dangers of using straws which are fixed into place - advising that they should only be used when they’re loose in an open cup.
Assistant coroner Brendan Allen told the Daily Echo that ‘great care should be taken taken when using these metal straws. There is no give in them at all.’
He added: ‘If someone does fall on one and it’s pointed in the wrong direction, serious injury can occur. It seems to me these metal straw should not be used with any form of lid that holds them in place.
‘It seems the main problem here is if the lid hadn’t been in place the straw would have moved away.’
Elena’s grieving wife has also issued her own warning, saying that children or anyone with mobility issue should avoid fixed metal straws.
Metal straws have become increasingly popular since companies and restaurants made the move away from single-use plastic straws. In light of the recent warnings, people are now being told to avoid drink containers where the metal straws are affixed - and possibly even consider using silicone straws instead.