In his Facebook post, Merlin wrote: ‘I recently purchased a loaf of bread from your Northland store and I saw that something was stuck in one of the slices. Turns out to be a spider.
‘I have no idea how this passed through your quality control area (if you have one) as you could see the spider through the bag as pictured.’
He also added: ‘I'm glad I saw it before devouring it!’
In her Facebook post, Cheyanne also questioned how this could happen. She wrote: ‘How does a spider end up in mayonnaise? Obviously Woolworths’s factory needs a good clean. Absolutely vile. 🤮🤢’
Other social media users were quick to point out their shock to both posts on Facebook.
‘Never eating bread again, cheers 🕷️🍞’ said one. Added another: ‘How that even went unnoticed is beyond me...’
Said a third: ‘So gross.’
Another had more comical views on it!
‘Daddy long leg in mayonnaise. If this picture doesn’t say Australia then I don’t know what does!’ said one.
New Idea Food has reached out to Woolworths for comment.